Thursday, September 10, 2009

Initial Language study

I have been studying Kinyarwanda for about six weeks now. The woman who is helping me is Joyce, a woman from the Friends church who speaks great English and has great language abilities in general. I meet with her on my own every now and then, but meet in a group with other learners most of the time. The people in the group are Molly (who is also with EFM, teaching missionary children) and a couple from our neighborhood, Krystan and Ruth, who are with Mennonite Central Committee (MCC).
We use various methods for learning, like comprehension projects that involve drawing sketches and doing actions, labeling items around the room, practicing conversation, paper lessons that involve reading and writing, and projects to help us memorize monologues or dialogues. Our brains hurt and are tired sometimes, but we have fun as well. Krystan always manages to make Joyce laugh with his silly drawings. We also like to play Phase 10 (a card game) to practice our colors and numbers.

Though I can’t say very much yet, I feel like I am learning a lot and can comprehend more each day. The other day, in the church service, I realized I understood more than I ever have! So, my message to you from a limited vocabulary is jya kwisoko (go to the market), kata ibitunguru (chop up the onions), and umunsi mwiza (have a good day)!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that a variety of methods are used - not just drill or writing & reading from a paper. That gives me hope with retrying to learn Spanish.

    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete