January 23, 2010
If you have ever visited Rwanda, you see incredible beauty, but you’re also often struck by is the deep ocean of visible suffering. You can see people drowning in poverty, sickness, and despair and you start to feel like you’re being pulled under. Because of your nationality or skin color, you may be seen as a possible savior and you often see hands held out in hopes that you could give them something...anything.
Many Americans tend to be infected by the lies that they don’t need God, that they can do everything themselves, but many Africans believe that they can’t do anything, that they’re worthless. When you see this it’s hard to hope.
I just finished participating in a week of Discipling for Development (D4D) training. David and Debby Thomas and Brad were the teachers/facilitators and I was in a group of 15 participants including pastors from the Friends church as well as other interested leaders from various organizations and churches. I know I can’t describe the values, methodology, and teaching methods I’ve learned in one short note. (If you’re interested in hearing more about that, please let me know). What I will try to describe is some of the evidence that God is at work and that His kingdom is advancing here on earth!
We all watched a video that showed testimonies from a Friends church in the Cyangugu region. One woman who has HIV only had one set of clothing. She would walk with her head down not wanting to talk to anyone, believing she was the lowest of the low. She would go to church and try to stay in the corners. When she got connected to the Friends church and what they were doing with D4D, she got connected to Jesus Christ. Now, you should see her! Her face is joyful! She proclaims that Jesus has brought her out of the pit and raised her up. She knows she’s loved and she knows her worth in Christ. She was able to buy more clothing, she’s taking care of a pig for someone else and will get to keep its baby as payment for her care (raising livestock is a huge way that people can make money here). She has a few goats and one is expressly for her child so that he can learn to take care of it and have his own way to raise money for school, etc. There are so many ways her life has changed. When asked if she would kind of stop going to church, stop depending on Jesus now that her life is better, she emphatically says she is never, never leaving her Jesus, who has done so much for her! One man used to rent a small room and he could barely afford the five dollars a month rent. He waited and waited for an NGO (non-government organization) to come and build him a house. Now, through D4D, Jesus is transforming his mind. He found a way to build his own house with the ability to add on in the future. One woman used to be a prostitute, one man used to get drunk all the time and beat his wife. And these are just a few examples out of many. Their lives are transforming through Jesus Christ!!!
So, as I was going through the seminar this week, I realized that I was being afraid to hope. But, I have seen that God HAS transformed people’s lives, He IS transforming them, and HE WILL continue! It’s not that it’s easy for people to change. It can be a long and difficult process. If it was short and easy, it wouldn’t last. So, please pray with me and hope with me!
“Look around at the nations and be amazed! For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn’t believe even if someone told you about it.” Habakkuk 1:5
Chelsea- I just looked at your blog and am so glad to hear of the changes happening in lives through D4D and the Lord! And as I read your other post- I pray the Lord is continuing to show you that He is indeed with you always! I love you!!!! Michelle
ReplyDeleteIt would be cool if "blog" would inform the Bloggers's followers when they had created a new blog. I have too many friends with blogs and cannot go and look at them all. Thanks for telling me that you had added a blog of hope!
ReplyDeleteI believe that D4D is exactly what Rwanda and Burundi need in the history of the country now.
Thanks for sharing.
This is so exciting! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete