Sunday, May 22, 2011

Floating Lanterns

I’ve been discouraged sometimes lately. Thankfully it hasn’t been everyday, but there have been days when I miss people so much, when I wish I could be there in the difficult times, and I wish I could celebrate with them in the happy times. There have been nights where I feel so tired or burnt out that I don’t see how I’ll have energy to face the morning. Times when I’ve just cried. I know I’m not the only one. But, God has been giving me energy to face new days, he has been giving me strength to keep going. He’s been giving me encouragement from His people. And this morning he gave me a renewed hope.

I was reading this morning in Acts when Paul was on trial telling about his “hope in the fulfillment of God’s promise…” So, as I noticed the word, “hope” two more times in the section I was reading, and as I prayed, God was breathing hope back into my spirit, into my heart. And the fulfilled promise Paul was talking about is Christ. On a whim, I flipped back to the Old Testament to read of a promise that has now been fulfilled in Christ. I read that to those who mourn, God will give a joyous blessing instead of mourning (Isaiah 61). Christ is giving me a joyous blessing! And that’s just one tiny verse, there are innumerable other promises that God has fulfilled in Christ! I hope to keep going back to them so that I can be reminded.

Then, to finish painting this hope onto my heart, God reminded me of an image. If you’ve seen the Disney movie, “Tangled,” you’ll remember that there was a king and a queen whose baby daughter was kidnapped and never found. Every year on the night of her birthday they would light and release lanterns that float up into the air, along with everyone in the village, hoping that somehow the lights could lead her back to them. The movie shows us the king and queen eighteen years later, preparing to release their lanterns once again. His face is the saddest, kindliest face you ever saw, and her eyes mirror his sadness when she reaches up to catch the tear slipping down his face. Then, they go together to send their lanterns into the night sky.

Slowly, brilliantly, thousands of lanterns are lit and released, floating together in the sky, defying the dark, making a golden path in the air. What an image of hope! Out of sadness, out of dark, hope can still grow and shine. This is the gift that God is giving me today, and I’m going to keep asking Him to help me hope, to help me remember how he fulfills His promises, and to remind me of the picture of golden glowing lanterns against the black night sky.


9 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful picture of hope! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree....thank you for sharing your heart, Chelsea. We are all yearning for everything to be put right....so thankful for our hope of eternity where there will be no more good-byes and separations from our loved ones. Blessings on you this day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, Chelsea! If I was there I would give you a great big hug! You are an amazing young woman of God, and I know that He is going to bless you & Brad in ways that are above and beyond what we could ever imagine. Can't wait to see what He has in store! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Chelsea, for such a lifting blog. Hope in Christ! What else is more certain? It's good to hear of your progress in language learning, even when it's a tough slog. Keep it up because you will be fluent one day! Christ's hope will sustain you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Chelsea, for your beautiful spirit! May the Lord continue to direct your thoughts towards Him. He has promised the gift of his presence through every trial. May His presence continue to be your source of strength and comfort. Connie Young

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chelsea....Thank you for sharing your heart! Ever since God audibly spoke to me when Jared was diagnosed the second time with cancer, saying "Your hope is not in them (doctors), your hope is in Me", I have kept a book with verses and references to hope. This is one of my favorites: "Hope protects me from depression and self pity. Hope is like a golden cord connecting me to heaven. The more I cling to this cord, the more He bears the weight of my burdens, thus I am lightened. Heaviness if not of God's kingdom. Cling to hope and his rays of light will reach me through the darkness." I love you, Aunt Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chelsea, You and Brad have hundreds of us praying for you. Think of each prayer as a lantern of light and hope that breaks up and through the darkness in ways that will reach all the way to a living, loving God. He will never leave you nor forsake you. He sits with you and cares for you as you go through purifying experiences in your life and ministry.See Malachi 3:3. We love you and Brad beyond words and will keep you in our prayers. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chelsea, I cried with you. I felt your heart. It's good to share things like this with "people of like mind". I want to say, we know the "antidote" to times when feelings like this come to us. It's of course, found in the Word. He has everything to meet our every need. I want to send some scriptures that have helped me many times over the yrs. Know, He IS the lifter of our head: Psl. 146:8 "The Lord gives sight to the blind, lifts up those who are bowed down, the Lord loves the righteous." Psl. 145:14 "The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed dowm."Psl. 3:3 "You are a shield around me, O Lord, you bestow glory on me and lift up my head."
    Know that I will talk with God about you more now. In His great, unfailing love, Renee'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. Tyler P

    ReplyDelete